Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Now I'm truly a thirtysomething...

I just shed a tear watching the 'emotional reunion' of the original Star Wars Trilogy cast during AFI's tribute to George Lucas; I've spent the last couple of days not simply watching the first 5 movies on DVD - BUT WATCHING THE COMMENTARIES; Ebay sends me daily updates on those action figures I still badly need; I even bought a lifesize replica of Emperor Palpatine's Cane, which WILL be hung on the wall no matters who much Brian protests! Yes, I'm truly in that geeky gawky thirtysomething stage.

Your 30's are those times when you actually buy all that crap you couldn't afford as a kid, and didn't want to in your 20's because you had all that drinking and partying to do.

I probably have more true crap than anyone I know. I collect action figures (NOT DOLLS!!!), which if not displayed, are placed neatly in Sterilite boxes from Target, that are labeled, inventoried and then piled high in some closet or, at the moment, in our 2nd bedroom. Every so often I'll rumage through a box or two, take things out, dust 'em off if necessary, and then PUT IT ALL BACK. NEATLY. It truly is crazy. I'm just more secure in my manhood to know that I have CRAP all over the house. Plus, the psychotic part of my mind thinks of all my CRAP as my "nestegg"... I mean, I did once sell a Buffy "Prophecy Girl" figure for $125.00 on ebay. There are people obviously more crazy than me!!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, you collect dolls. Accept it. Face it. Own it. You're a doll whore.

Do you still have that Chrissy doll that wets herself? I always thought it was cute when you and Brian would bring her to our dinner parties. Please don't do that in LA.

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute... didn't you bring your Betsy Wetsie doll to Dbud's Oscar party a while back?

So I think after hearing about your doll classification and filing system you need to dump this catering stuff and become a librarian... oh wait Walker has that one covered... carry on then :-P

Anonymous said...

How come you didn't mention your collection of designer handbags and Robby Benson era Teen Beat Magazines?

N2B said...

They are ACTION FIGURES people... with ACTION FEATURES (i.e. when Chrissy wets herself)!!!

BTW Toss, I keep a picture of Betsy Wetsie with me at all times. I only 'introduce' the real girl to special people!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, British Matt! I put a photo of you from last Thanxgiving on my blog to give thanks to you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Old Chap... I don't have fun photos of you or your betsy wetsie but you are the inaugural post of my brand spanking *new* blog... how appropriate :-P

Have a great day fellow Gemini - TOS

http://wandertos.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to my favorite sci-fi-collecting, reality tv-loving, muscle boy-worshipping, puppy papa, cookie eating clown!!

Anonymous said...

The votes are in and it's a tie!! our sons say they are indeed "Action Figures" but our daughter and me still think they are DOLLS........I think we need another kid to break the tie (hey honey, how about a bird or fish?) haha - jokes aside, here's to you honey and a very happy birthday! xoxoxo