Thursday, December 29, 2005

Chocolate: The Evil of The Season

Let's face it, American chocolate generally pretty nasty. There are exceptions of course (See's and Godiva spring to mind), but your average bar of Hershey's or box of Russell Stover tastes like waxy ass.

When I first moved to the States some 12+ years ago, I all but gave up chocolate after taste testing most of your basic store bought candy bars (even British brand Cadbury's here is licensed by Hershey's). With quite a sweet tooth, and an innate love of chocolate (my dad is a chocoholic), giving up the sweet was quite an ordeal. But I did it! I transformed from Picture A to B:

OK, so that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it did help me keep the weight off. But most importantly my skin cleared up (chocolate causes zits, no matter what your doctors says)! That is, until now!

See's Candies are the official chocolates of the Spago offices, or so it seemed this holiday season, as we were deluged with box upon box of these truly heavenly chocolate wrapped candies.

And out I broke!

And I mean all over! Some of the nastiest spots ever! Yeah, it's pretty gross. While there may be other contributing factors right now, it's mainly the chocolate I'm sure! How can something that tastes so good, make me break out so terribly? Luckily I'm done again for another year... no more chocolate for me and hopefully the skin will clear up soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you know, I am a skin care expert. Chocolate (or any other food) will NOT cause breakouts. Perhaps you should try moderating/managing your stress level. In no time, you will have the complexion worthy of a ProActiv Solutions infomercial.

Anonymous said...

Ok I completely missed the chocolates I was far more taken with the fuzzy muscles behind it... now those I could snack on all day!

Anonymous said...

Other contributing factors....I think I've been there.

Anonymous said...

I'm not EVEN going to ask how you know what waxy ass tastes like...

But try this... this has been my skin care regime for fifteen years. A make-up artist on a film I did years ago told me to do this and nothing else and I very, very rarely ever have a breakout. It's my one and only beauty secret:

Steaming hot wash cloth, pat to your face. No soap. Just the wash cloth. It opens your pours and cleans them. She threatened me if I ever used soap on my face. And Trader Joes has this AMAZING moisturizer called Kiss My Face.

Anonymous said...

Waxy ass...I missed the rest of the discussion after that. What were we talking about again?

Anonymous said...

Whole Foods also has Kiss My Face - but don't you dare buy it there if there is a Trader Joe's in reach - it is far cheaper at TJ's!

I also like the TJ's brand peppermint castille soap - it is very clean rinsing and not really "soapy" - it has peppermint oil which has a nice tingle but otherwise leaves no residue etc.

Anonymous said...

My good friend Leah, who I visit in Brighton every year, always complained that Hershey kisses "tasted like vomit". She made this remark AGAIN in October when I saw her last. I sent her a cool Nalgene bottle for Christmas and stuffed it full of Hershey Kisses. :)

If Cadbury were here in the US, my ass would have no hope.