Tuesday, December 06, 2005

'Tis The Season...

I know that watching the football games on Thanksgiving afternoon is a traditional part of the day's festivities, but after 13 years of being here I still don't get the obsession with this particular sport. I've even spent Thanksgiving Day at Texas Stadium watching the Dallas Cowboys woop the Washington Redskins ass (and yes I had a phenominal time, lots of beer, foam hand et al.).

I've come to the conclusion that the reasons I, and the rest of the world, haven't embraced "American" Football is because: a) it's just way too complicated; b) how possibly can a game scheduled to last an hour, actually take three hours to play out; and c) although there are hunks like the Jets' Wayne Chrebet, the Giant's Jason Sehorn and USC's Brandon Hancock, let's face it we seldom see these boys in the states of undress that we can really appreciate (I had to hunt high and low for the accompanying pics).

Next season "Monday Night Football" moves to cable, and ratings have been steadily slipping for the regular season Sunday afternoon games. Maybe even Americans are getting bored with their national sport. Maybe they should just show more skin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now wait a minute here i love the muscle boys :-P but do you mean to criticize American Football for being complicated??? amd too long???

I have one word for you:

cricket

From the Cricket FAQ: "Cricket is a team sport for two teams of eleven players each. A formal game of cricket can last anything from an afternoon to several days."

Not to mention the umpteen million rules that follow it (and people think baseball is complicated?!)

I rest my case. :-)

Anonymous said...

First of all, there are good-looking men in all sports ... and Jason Seahorn is not one of them.

I agree that football is complicated and too long, however, I enjoy following certain teams throughout the season. It's like a drama, without Nicolette Sheridan. Or when I develope a pot belly.