Wednesday, July 05, 2006

July 4th 2006: The Pursuit of the Perfect Tan!

Another Fourth of July, another year without citizenship, and yet I still celebrate the day you claimed your independence from my people (all the while driving around in my Union Jack topped Mini, avoiding the couple of dirty looks I did get).

For the life of me I can't remember what I did last year, but this year was spent pursuing that perfect tan! But after two days out on the beautiful sandy beaches of Venice, Joe gets burnt, while I've barely any colour at all (according to Ed at work). Great!

My quest began a few weeks ago at the gym. This guy working out next to us had the most spell binding colour (I couldn't stop staring). So even. So complete (even his pits). So spectacular that we had to wonder if it were in fact Mystic! But in truth, he is not alone. Many an Angelino has that same, truly perfect tan! And I want to be counted amoungst those proud tanned souls! Plus, it does help to clear up my skin!

But what is a "hard-tanner" to do? I only used SPF 15. I turned accordingly. I lay in the appropriate direction. And after many hours in the sun, I'm still as pink as a lab rat!

Will I have to make that treacherous 1/2 hour journey west every weekend? Spending hour upon hour reading trashy novels while laying on the sands? Peering at the hard-bodies running along the water's edge? Having to deal with free-parking (thanks Cary) and homeward-bound trips to Target or Toy "R" Us?

Yes, I could well be in for a rough summer!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't wait for my sweaty and humid Metro ride to work now! Go ahead rub it in... :-P

Anonymous said...

First: Do you tan?
Second: Do you tan well??
If you answered "Yes" to those two questions... just do it! SLATHER yourself with tanning oil (works better than cream and can be jolly fun to roll around with your hubby).
I do this: Side 1 - 30 min, roll over, side 2 - 30 min, roll over. I do this for two or three hours.
Also, if you lounge on a float in a pool... it helps. Also, at band camp... I find that the salty sea air and/or salt water really helps with color. Kinda like salting a roast. Mmmmm... roast... drooool.

I tan. I tan like a crazy tanning fool.

Anonymous said...

Yes Matt, tell them I burned. Well, now I'm in the peeling stage. I want to go from coral snow to bronzed caramel.

Anonymous said...

You won't ever get color with SPF 15, sweetie.---Try SPF 4,... but be careful. :-)

Anonymous said...

I do what they call "Double Dipping" at my tanning salon here in San Fran. I do 9 minutes in a medium pressure bed and then the darkest Mystic Tan setting. I get a little natural color and that helps the Mystic Tan look more natural (less orangey). Do it on a Thursday and you're set for the weekend. Yes, I need more hobbies.