Thursday, December 07, 2006

Family Meal

Sorry Chef Lee, but some of the best food at Spago isn't necessarily found on the regular dining menu.

Fondly known as "Family Meal," this twice daily ritual, served first at 10:30am, then again at 4:30pm, brings the Spago staff (from bussers and dishwashers, to sous chefs and management) together before service begins.

It doesn't matter that we're not getting grilled Carpenter Ranch squab breast or Snake River Kobe beef when there's coconutily spicy chicken curry, melt-in-your-mouth buttered cornbread, damn good corndogs, and the "all white meat" chicken pot pie which... well, it even puts Marie Callender to shame!!!

"Family Meal" is that welcome "second breakfast," after a protein shake and coffee, which entices me into the office in the mornings. It's the perfect "tide-you-over-til-dinner" afternoon snack, which, along with my double-shot latté, I wouldn't make it through the early evenings without. And most importantly, it's certainly helped me bulk this fall, I'm a whopping 196 as of last weigh in!!!

PS - Don't forget to set your Tivos for Chef Lee's upcoming appearance on Bravo's Top Chef.

PPS - I'd never had a corn dog before working at Spago!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm Matt, with a diet of corndogs I wouldn't be boasting that my 196 is all muscle.

better stick to lean proteins I say.

N2B said...

That's why it's called "bulking" - you don't HAVE to eat totally lean - just ask Lee Priest!

Anonymous said...

Is it a requirement to have a double chin and a beer gut to dine at Spago? And do they offer high blood pressure/cholesterol screenings after you finished your meal?

TOS said...

Ya know I don't think I've ever had a corndog actually...