Wednesday, August 08, 2007

SeaWorld San Diego: Stroller Hell!!!

After two long days at Comic Con, it was time for a change of pace.

San Diego is of course known as the home of two major tourist traps, I mean attractions, the Zoo and SeaWorld, both of which are world reknown. It being the middle of summer, we figured the zoo wouldn't be the most active place on a scorching July afternoon, so we chose to believe and go visit Shamu instead.

We didn't stop to think however what a kiddie nightmare it would be (though I am sure the zoo would have been worst). Disney at least has the tweens and teens to balance out those little munchkins. I truly have never seen as many strollers, or assigned stroller parking areas, in my entire life. And if you think the merchanising at Disney is bad, I don't think it compares with this place - cute, adorable and overpriced plush penguins, seals, dolphins and orca jump out at you at every possible opportunity.

That's not to say the place wasn't fun (though I think I got more out of it than Joe), how can you not get a thrill out of petting a bat ray, ducking through the shark tunnel, and believing with Shamu, even the food was pretty damn good (the Calypso Bay Smokehouse being the standout).

Bratty kids aside, by the end of the afternoon we'd "flown" to the remote Wild Arctic research station, stepped on the scales to see if we weighed as much as a manatee, picked up the requisite fridge magnet, and burned in the sun.

The one thing I can say with certain (which I am sure Joe is quite pleased by), now that I've done SeaWorld, I never have to go back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to SeaWorld since I was three. The only two things I can remember are getting wet and the BBQ chicken. I can still vividly remember what it tasted like. I wonder if it's still the same.

Anonymous said...

the sea lions were my favorite. They are like big puppies with fins.