Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Some People Without Brains do an Awful Lot of Talking, Don't They?

So, we've been in the new apartment 3 weeks now. Mikey seems to have it all together, but I'm still not totally unpacked (though I did finally get my curtains up after last week's Ikea trip), but with a new coffee maker, microwave and bed... it's all slowly coming together!

In the midst of organizing, Mikey and I took time to catch up with those boyz from The Broken Hearts Club, the first time either of us had seen the movie since moving here some months ago. Written by the creator of Everwood, with it's stellar cast (including Kerr Smith, Mary McCormack, Jennifer Coolidge and Zach Braff - who knew?), Broken Hearts is that rare gay movie that makes you feel good to be gay! No super depressing storylines, lots of cute people, lots of humor, lots of stuff that rings true, and on top of it all a pretty happy ending! One of my favourite exchanges involves the gym naming of "Idaho Guy," something Carleton, Kentio and I did a fair bit of back in the day at Results:

Dennis: Why do you call him Idaho Guy?
Patrick: I don't know. He just kind of... looks like he's from Idaho. It's not one of our better ones.

As we're trying to figure out where, or even if, any of the scenes were filmed around here, we also discuss which character we're most like. When I first saw the movie I thought, or wanted to be Timothy Olyphant's Dennis. Upon rewatching however, Dennis is just too precious, too uptight and too sanctimonious. I think I'm much more Benji (without the over dosing). Mikey figures he's Patrick, whose self-defeating angst is summed up with the line:

Patrick: All of the men in LA are a bunch of 10's looking for an 11. On a good night, and if the other guy's drunk enough... I'm a 6.

It is true, there are many 11s here. One thought however, if Mikey does think of himself as a 6, then does that make me a sad and lowly 5.5? I bloody well hope not, I was thinking at least a 7.4!

But back to Broken Hearts, a great, way underrated gay movie, with more appropriate social significance than Brokeback Mountain should ever have!

Lastly, you may have picked up on my random Wizard of Oz references of late? Am I some sort of closeted Judy Garland fan? Do I have a Flying Monkey or Tin Man fetish? Has my love of the critically scorned Return to Oz finally warped my mind? No, unfortunately none of the above, simply think of these recent posts as odes in my "Over the Rainbow" trilogy (click here for parts 1 and 2) .

There's no place like home!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey... You're a 10!

Anonymous said...

Matt -- don't sell yourself short ... I mean belittle, ah, well you know what I'm trying to say. You are definitely a 5.514.

Anonymous said...

You know I once went on a 2nd date/picnic-date and saw the Wizard of Oz on the green at Stead Park here in DC... I had no idea that movie was SOOOOO gay. I hadn't seen it in probably 10 or 15 years but my date for the evening said it best...

"You haven't lived until you have seen the Wizard of Oz with 200 gay men" Aptly put.

Hmmm now that I think of it maybe it was a 2nd date... the first was at Sette on Connecticut Ave... oh wait - nevermind - 3rd date ;-)

Anonymous said...

I thought Brokenhearts Club was good - but I don't remember much about now. Maybe if you live in LA, it has more resonance. Now, if Dean Cain and Tim Olyphant had the courage to do the love scenes Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhal did, then we'd be in business. :)

Anonymous said...

i agree with Matty!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just blogging about J. Crew guy ... he's on "Love Monkey" now.