Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Chained to the Desk?

When I got home from work yesterday, the local NBC early evening news was just finishing its broadcast with a couple of those human-interest polls.

I’m not surprised that 23% of Americans can name current American Idol (Taylor Hicks), while only 11% know the most recently appointed Supreme Court judge (Samuel Alito), according to Zogby International.

But it still amazes me that the US is so far behind other countries when it comes it giving its employees vacation days. While the French get an average of 39 days, we Brits 24, those Aussies 17, but you Americans a pitiful 14 days. Plus a third of workers don’t even take this allotted time off, so says Harris Interactive.

This struck a particular cord with me on the eve of my mini vacation (I’m taking the next couple of days off – unpaid – let’s not talk about that any more, shall we). I am off to “the happiest place on earth” to be part of the 50th anniversary celebration. Mikey’s lending me his camera, so they’ll be pictures on our return.

2 comments:

TOS said...

AWESOME! I hope you have a great time and take fun pix. It sucks you have to take the time off unpaid but at least you are taking the time off.

I hate the vacation policy and attitude in this country. HATE IT. It makes me sick that most places give you vacation and then make you feel guilty if you take it, like you are doing them a favor by taking it when it is good for them and not you... GRRRR

The Dutch, Belgians, Brits, Swedes and Frenchers have it right - work less, feel better, do more...

Have fun with the mouse!

Jay, aka The Angry Little Man said...

heh! I ended up going on disability to get 'time off' it seems from a law firm! But that is another story... ;)