Thursday, November 02, 2006

Steve Namat - 2006 Border States Champ!

This past weekend, at the Cook Auditorium in Anaheim, former 2004 Hungarian champion Steve Namat took home the overall trophy at this year's 2006 Border States NPC Bodybuilding Classic.

Steve swept the Light Heavy class (with guys ranging from 176 to 198 pounds), the largest of the weight classes that evening. Just earlier in the year, Steve was all swole up to a massive 240 or so pounds, especially massive for only a 5'7" 23 year old.

Known in his native tongue as Németh István, Steve was crowned the Hungarian Champion at 21, weighing in at a svelt 180, but even then he showed great promise with his conditioning, cuts and symmetry.

The Border States Classic, another of top bodybuilding promotor Jon Lindsay's shows (his next being the NPC Exclaibur in Culver City this December), is a "National Qualifying Event," meaning that winners qualify for inclusion in the big amateur shows, the Nationals and the USAs, which may earn them their pro cards (a la Mike Ergas). Steve, or rather István, being a European is sadly ineligible for these shows. He is going to have to go back to Europe to earn his pro status. And it'll happen!

With this recent States-side win, reaction to Steve on the boards has varied from "future pro" to just "another midget on steroids." Along with fellow young foreigner James "Flex" Lewis (fondly known here as Sienna Buff), it is my belief that Steve is certainly going to be a future force to be reckoned with in the sport!

5 comments:

TOS said...

I haven't been as active in commenting as I would like so I'm sure you will allow me to say...

Is that a black man or is he dark orange?!?!?! ;-)

Anonymous said...

A black Hungarian? I don't imagine there are many of those running around. I'll got with dark orange, but I'm sure Matt will come up with a better color name.

Anonymous said...

Ummm ... is that an orange in his thong?

PS -- TOS: we missed you.

N2B said...

"Hershey's Kiss" is good (though I really think you just want to "kiss" him, don't you Mark?), but I would consider Steve more of an "Enchanting Ginger" (S-H-320 on the Behr color palette) hue!

And yes Tos we do miss you!

TOS said...

I miss you guys too! This whole grad school and teaching thing is seriously hogging my blogtime which ain't fair! I will be better once this semester is over - December 13th a little over a month! :-)

Thanks for missing me - you all made my day! :-)