Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Not So Crabby

Ying and Yangs. Feng Shui masters. Kabbalahan strings. They have it all here in the City of Angels. But none more so than the tried and true, found in every local paper, astrological guides, or simply put, the daily horoscope.

On numerous occasions since moving here people have asked (even in an interview), "So, what's your star sign?" or "You're a Cancer aren't you?" and when I nod in agreement, their response goes something along the lines of, "I thought so!", "Yes! I could tell!" or a simple "Oh!" followed by a sigh!

Being a little perturbed by these responses, I thought it best to do some research, to find out what being a Cancerian meant to these people. Here is what I found:

"Cancerians are not easy to understand, for their moods often fluctuates from sweet to cranky. They can be untidy, sulky, devious, moody, and inclined to self-pity because of an inferiority complex. A typical Cancerian broods on insults. They also tend to change their opinions and, indeed, their occupations, and lack stability. Cancer people are apt to do the opposite from what they are advised to do."

"[Cancerians] are rather close-minded and opinionated. They have a retentive memory, and rarely forgive slights and hurts. With a tendency toward chronic complaining, a Cancerian will never let you forget an error… They are over-imaginative and prone to be a victim of fantasy. They have a flair for the dramatic… By nature, very giving and selfless, they need to be aware of falling into the role of martyr in certain situations."

Cancerians, "the most perplexing of the signs," but basically perceived to be unstable over-emotional basketcases, who cling to their mum's apron strings, rarely leave the house and have something of a martyr complex!!!

OK, so I'll admit to being a tad sensitive (I sobbed when Casper became a real boy and danced with Christina Ricci at the end of the movie), I'm obviously intuitive (see Day 113), paternal (I do love my puppy), untidy (I like to refer to it as "organized piles"), a bit of a homebody (when you have TiVo why leave the house), even somewhat of a whiner (ask Brian)...

But the rest of it... Phooey!

Opinionated and always right? I don't think so!

An emotional basketcase? Certainly not!

A brooding drama queen? Not on your life!

I do occasionally glance at my own horoscope, and I can see some correlation in what I'm supposed to be and what I actually am. But this whole notion that the positioning of the stars has made be what I am just doesn't ring true.

So, LA people, I know you all get caught up in these fads (be it diet, exercise, spirituality or wotnot), but remember, "moderation is the key." It's a bit of fun to see if you're going to win some money or fall into or out of love, not a defining lifestyle choice!

FYI other notable (manly man) crabs include Vin Diesel, Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford, Kris Kristofferson and David Hasselhoff!

(And for those wondering just how the pictures relate to this post... the pose these three boys are doing is known as "the crab shot")

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blah, blah, blah. Who is the guy in the middle photo?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting more useless trivia into my head. "The crab pose," eh?
Dammit, now I've forgotten who Liz Taylor's second through third husbands were.

Anonymous said...

I love you Matty, but you fit this bill to the "T" - and I should know I've lived with you for nearly 3 years.

Anonymous said...

Heh heh you said you are one of the crabs... (snicker)

Apparently I am a Gemini true and true - I don't believe in Astrology but at the same time, you're right (yes dear you are right!) I do find a lot of these definitions to match their owners... Check mine out:

"About Geminians
People born under this sign are dual natured, complex and contradictory, which is very well evident from the sign of Twins. Involved in gossips, they know everything about every one's life. They have a peculiar quality of doing many things at once, talking fast and using hands while talking. People born under this sign love to dazzle with their intelligence and quick wit and are consequently the star of any party.

Geminians accept new activities with great enthusiasm but lack the same, at the time of implementation. However their good qualities are – they are affectionate, courteous, kind, generous, and thoughtful towards poor and suffering. It is their versatility that makes them adaptable and adjusting natured."

ADD, scattered, language geek, attention-ho? Sound like me??? ;-)

Anonymous said...

You know, I don't really question why there are pictures of hot hunky men on your page. I just say thank you and continue reading.

Anonymous said...

I once read an article that said when a mother is pregnant, the amount of sunglight and her diet could impact the physical and emotional health of her child. A baby born in December will have had less sunlight and a different diet, etc than a baby born in August. So, this could explain the common traits you see in Virgos, Cancers - or my personal favorite, Scorpios. :) (Yes, I am a total geek.)

Anonymous said...

I'm a Gemini too -- I knew there was a reason for my versatility.

Anonymous said...

I don't so much believe in astrology, but when one defines an Aries with Virgo on his ascendant, it pretty much describes me (I paid some whacko lady $20 to do my chart...if nothing else, it was entertaining.)